April 1, 2008: Spicy cauliflower soup and braised mushrooms
Still, these were minor changes. The soup was spicy from the chilli and just a little smoky from the paprika. We threw in a decent sized chunk of blue cheese, but it didn't really shine through - adding maybe a little creaminess, but not a lot of extra flavour. This wasn't a problem, the cauliflower and spices provided enough taste for our needs. The mushrooms were even more impressive - the vinegar and pepper contrasting with our slightly salty stock base. This was all pretty easy to throw together (particularly when you skip the hours of stock-making) and was a good start to my plans for a winter of creamy soups.
Check out the recipe in full here.
Hi Michael,
ReplyDeleteLooks yummy!
I use that Massel faux-chicken stock too. My aunty recommended it to me because it doesn't have MSG in it, and now we always use it.
Just out of curiosity - Do you guys eat meat stock? Or always veggie?
that soup looks WONDERFUL!!! and I love your variation of th recipe!
ReplyDeleteSarah, that Massel stock is great, isn't it? It took a recommendation from a friend for us to discover it, it says "chicken" so prominently on the label that I always bypassed it. :-D
ReplyDeleteWe never make or use meat stock at home. When we're eating out I tend not to hassle restaurant staff about ingredients, so there have probably been a few occasions where we've inadvertently eaten it.
Thanks, Veggiegirl! Nice to have you visit. :-)